Guide: SSS Membership for Freelancers and Self-Employed

Guide: SSS Membership for Freelancers and Self-Employed

Individuals who are not employed by an organization but are still earning as freelance professionals, licensed professional, or registered sole proprietors of a business can still become a member of the Social Security System or SSS.

There are several benefits of SSS membership. These include retirement pension, as well as compensation programs in the event of sickness, disability, maternity, and death. This article provides a quick guide to becoming an SSS member for freelancers and self-employed professionals.

Procedure in SSS Membership

Becoming an SSS member is considerably simple and can take 1 to 2 days depending on the SSS branch or your compliance with the requirements. Take note of the following:

Step 1: Prepare all the documentary requirements. Also, Fill out an SSS E1 form. Take note that this form can be downloaded via the SSS website. A complete list and description of all requirements are provided further below.

Step 2: Go to an SSS branch nearest to your place of residence. Head to the information counter and state your intent. The office will direct you to the appropriate counter/window and will give you a number stub. Wait for your number to be called.

Step 3: Once called, present the accomplished E1 form and all other documentary requirements. The officer will determine which income bracket you belong to and how much monthly contribution you will be paying based on your documents.

Step 4: The officer will process your SSS membership registration. This can take a couple of minutes. Once done, you will receive your SSS number and a printed slip of the amount and due date of your first contribution.

The Documentary Requirements

Below are the documentary requirements:

• SSS Form E1: An SSS Form E1 or the SSS Personal Record Form is a form used for the issuance of a social security number. Note that this can be downloaded online from the website of SSS.

• Birth Certificate: One original and another photocopy of your birth certificate. Note that the certified true copy of your birth certificate should come from the Philippines Statistics Authority or PSA. A baptismal certificate or its equivalent, or a certified true copy of birth from the local civil registrar would suffice.

• Valid Government IDs: Government-issued IDs include passport, LTO license, PRC license, digitized TIN card, Postal ID, and NBI clearance, among others showing your full name, address, and date of birth.

• Barangay Clearance: Secure a clearance from the barangay hall covering your residence. The clearance needs to state that you are a freelancer or a self-employed professional with residing in that barangay. The clearance should also state your approximate monthly income.

• Proof of Income: In securing a barangay clearance and in some SSS branches, you would be asked to show proof of your income. This can include your tax returns from the BIR if you are a registered freelancer or self-employed taxpayer, contracts from your clients, and/or proof of payments from your clients.

• Other Requirements: For married freelancers or self-employed professionals, also prepare your marriage contract or marriage certificate. For those with dead spouse, have the copy of the death certificate of your spouse as well. For legally separated, present decree of local separation, annulment/nullity certificate, or decree of divorce.

• Supporting Valid IDs: In case you do not have the government-issued IDs mentioned above, presented at least two of the following: ATM card or credit card with your name, bank account passbook, ID card issued by LGUs such as your barangay, healthcare card, police clearance, senior citizen card, PWD ID, school or alumni ID.

As a reminder, it is better to have a photocopy of all the requirements. Some officers or branches would want to keep a copy of these.

Posted in Business and Economics, Topics and tagged , , .